Our definition of eco-tourism
Jolinaiko Eco Tours makes an effort to include tourism projects in its tours, which operate in line with our vision. We think tourism should be organized in harmony with nature and local communities. We use the following guidelines:
- Local people should be enabled to generate income from tourism to alleviate their poverty level.
- Income realized from tourism activities should be used to develop communities by providing basic facilities.
- Preservation of our delicate natural resources and endangered animal species should be ensured or encouraged.
- Tourism activities should be organized with respect for indigenous cultures and traditions of our people.
Official eco-tourism projects in Ghana
Ghana counts an extensive list of official 'Community-Based Eco Tourism Projects' which have been established in a joint effort by:
- Nature Conservation Research Centre (NCRC)
- Ghana Tourist Board (GTB)
- SNV Netherlands Development Organization
- Peace-Corps Ghana.
Below are only a few of the official projects, that are among the most fascinating eco-destinations in Ghana and the following attractions are part of the main destinations of Jolinaiko's tours. Others can be found on our interactive map of destinations.
Other interesting eco-tourism sites in Ghana
Besides the 'official' eco-tourism sites, there are many committed and inspiring persons and organizations taking their responsibility by linking tourism to community development or nature conservation. Therefore, a list will always be incomplete. Besides the list below, there are many others, most of which can be found on our interactive map of destinations.